Best Chairs For Programmers: Continuously spending hours trying to crack code can sometimes bring the soul out of a programmer or creator. It is already hard to project an image of software in your head, and don’t get us started on the implementation!
Programming or developing is undoubtedly not a profession to take for granted. Your whole life depends on binary codes and sitting on an old chair for the rest of your life – no hard feelings. For a moment, have you ever thought why you often lack ideas at the nick of time?
Your mind needs to be relaxed and free of thoughts to look at the screen, develop graphics, and code. You can only do that when you are on a bed of roses, meaning a beautiful chair.
Your days of struggling and getting agitated on an uncomfortable chair are over. We are here to showcase a montage of fantastic chairs, suited especially for programmers and developers.
Indeed, there are several processes involved when finding the perfect chair for an all-time computer worker. Most buyers recommend sitting on every chair you come across to catch the essence of getting an idea of what you need. But, we have a different theory.
When it comes to checking out a chair from every perspective, YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT FROM EVERY ANGLE!
But, if you are in a hurry and only have time to check some basic features of a chair, we can help you out in that manner. Before you read further, remember one thing, it doesn’t take a village to find a high-quality chair for your computer-butt, but it is a matter of the mind needs.
Here is a list of some mandatory factors to consider to get your hands on a premium programming chair.
- The material of build and supporting features
Now, that wasn’t so long, was it? When you check-list these factors in your mind while heading to the dealership, there’s a chance you’ll outsmart the seller.
However, you must know that these factors were only the trailer, the real show begins in the end, in the ‘buyers guide.’ There, you will learn precisely how to buy the best chair for programmers and developers.
Furthermore, an essential step of the process is to remain calm, even if you don’t find anything suitable. Pro Tip: never rush into buying anything because you will only regret it once you take it home.
- 10 Best Chairs for Programmers & Developers (Top Picks)
- Herman Miller Embody Chair
- Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair
- Homall Gaming Office Chair High Back Desk Chair
- Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair
- Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair
- Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
- SERTA Exclusive Office Chair
- Smugdesk High Back Office Chair
- Sihoo Ergonomic High Back Office Chair
- AmazonBasics High-Back Office Desk Chair
- Buyers Guide
10 Best Chairs for Programmers & Developers (Top Picks)
Herman Miller Embody Chair
Of course, there is a broad spectrum of office and computer chairs in the market, and the Herman Miller Embody is a living example.
The Herman Miller Embody is a remarkable chair that is based on incredible ergonomics and style. It provides extreme comfort to your strict routine, but it also reduces a series of health problems that may be in line to ruin your back completely.
When it comes to design, the Embody chair sure is unique and offers astonishing ergonomics. It is a middle-back computer chair that can also be suitable for gaming.
Moreover, it comes in ten beautiful colors, starting from black to mulberry. So, if you are looking for a computer chair with a specific color, the Embody chair will please you.
This chair is designed to fit all sorts of users; it is 27” deep, 43.5” tall, and 29.5” wide. You can even adjust the back according to your relaxations. When it comes to capacity, the Embody chair can support up to 300 lbs of weight.
- Stimulating Base: The Herman Miller chair includes a unique blood-boosting mechanism that enhances oxygen and blood flow. In return, you put your focus at your work while sitting in a comfortable position.
- Six Ergonomic Perks: Six incredible ergonomic functions encourage a healthy and straight posture for all developers and programmers. Other than that, it features a working recline, it improves fluid function from discs and decreases spine compression.
- Smooth Covering: Thanks to the skin-like material, the air circulates freely, enabling you to stay calm and relaxed, even working for long hours.
- Healthy and Satisfactory Manufacturing: The Herman Miller Embody chair is a product of renewable energy built around a recyclable and healthy environment. Also, the twelve-year Herman Miller warranty will benefit you in the long-run.
Overall, The Herman Miller Embody chair is a sturdy chair for all developers and programmers because it is a combination of focus and comfort.
Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair
If you are a man of taste and looks, then this aesthetically pleasing yet flexible computer chair will surely satisfy your taste buds. However, you can’t tell much about this chair at first glance, but if you tend to sit on and take a look at every inch of it, you will understand why we love it.
The first most incredible thing to notice about this high-back chair is that it is vaguely impressive. It has a lot of patterns from top to bottom, which does not make it unpleasant.
It contains a decent amount of mesh with stunning looks. Still, the segmented seatback is what adds a futuristic element to the chair. On the other hand, it may seem difficult for this chair to blend with your home décor, but you can make an exception, right?
Because it offers plenty of adjustments, which means it is suitable for every person, big, tall, or short. In contrast to that, the tilt mechanism and base are entirely ruggedized, meaning the chair can handle a commendable weight capacity.
Furthermore, it is available in a variety of mesmerizing colors. That is what makes it so robust and easy-going with your computer room.
- Adjustable Functions: With the three-position tilt-lock mechanism, users can lock the chair in place in any one of the three positions. Also, the tension control adjustment is included to control the force it takes to recline or sit straight.
- Suitable for All: The headrest, back, and seat cushion are adjustable, meaning this chair is the perfect fit for all individuals. Moreover, it requires minimum maintenance.
- Synchro-Tilt Function: Thanks to the synchro-tilt mechanism and seat adjustment, users can receive the amount of support they need while reclining or merely sitting.
- Additional Comforts: The contoured and adjustable lumbar provides long-term support for your back and keeps you fresh and tension-free all the time.
Ergohuman is a famous company, and they manufacture top-notch chairs. The Ergohuman high back swivel chair with headrest is versatile, fantastically adjustable, and super-comfy.
Now, don’t be confused by the red color you see on this chair because it is available in blue.
The Homall Office/Gaming chair is a useful choice for developers/programmers who love to game, relax, and watch TV. Homall is already a world-famous brand, so you can count on the quality coming from this chair. It supports more than 300 lbs and ensures user comfort from every level.
When it comes to the noticeable features, the chair uses PU leather as a protective shield against stains or wear and tear. The features on this chair are pretty basic. Still, the most disappointing fact about it is that it doesn’t come with adjustable armrests.
Still, the manufacturer tried to cover up that flaw with an adjustable backrest that can extend to 180-degree which enables you to sit back and relax anytime you desire.
Furthermore, the primary question is, is the chair comfortable? According to our evaluation, the Homall chair is entirely satisfactory.
On the downside, it does lack padding from the seat, which is evident at first glance. Besides that, the overall quality of this chair is commendable. As comfortable and sturdy it is, some users claim it the chair starts to make squeaky noises with time.
- The Material of Build: It consists of a high-density foam that adds comfort, durability, and elasticity to the chair. Moreover, the 1.8mm thick steel frame offers stability and robustness, while the PU leather is comfortable and skin-friendly.
- Advanced Configuration: The Class-3 gas-lift certified by the SGS increases support, reliability, and durability to every user. Plus, it has a weight capacity of up to 300 lbs.
- Versatile Chair: The Homall chair is not only for developers and programmers, but also for playing games, watching TV, or relaxing.
- Multi-Purpose: Multi-purpose wheels, incredible 360-degree swivel, and a recline feature for relaxing at 180-degrees. Also, the rocking function will rock you back and forth for maximum comfort.
This Homall chair is more than versatile, and it is incredibly comfortable for every use. Somehow, you can still find a much better chair in the same price range.
Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair
Like every other Herman Miller product, the Aeron Task chair emphasizes solely on the health. From top to bottom, it is designed to reduce fatigue and stress. That said, it is a reliable option for those who sit and work for hours.
In terms of price, it is expensive than other models. Still, if you consider the number of features it offers, you can make an exception. A good thing about the Aeron Task chair is it provides a twelve-year warranty, so if you buy this chair, you will never have to wander for another chair.
It comes in 17 beautiful colors, and they all blend well with every home décor. Moreover, it features tilt-mechanism, adjustable arms and height, and a limiter.
You may get disappointed by the amount of padding you see on the seat, but it is for your good because the chair won’t become weak or uncomfortable with time.
- Advanced Chair: The iconic structure of this chair remains the same, but it has been changed a little from the casters. The chair is built with advanced technology based on vivid sitting research.
- Utmost Comfort: Aeron’s elastomeric suspension backrest and seat confirm posture. The eight latitudinal regions contain unique tension that grabs you as you sit, providing significant comfort and ergonomic support.
- Smooth Tilt-Mechanism: Sitting in one position for long hours pumps action through your muscles and delivers it to your spine. That said, the tilt mechanism of this chair lets you recline between varying positions throughout your work hours.
- Suitable for All: The Aeron chair is available in three sizes; A, B, and C. Each size offers the same levels of comfort for all body types.
The Herman Miller Aeron is a top-notch computer chair with a premium mesh back that makes it a viable option for developers and programmers all over the world.
Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable Office Chair
Please take a look at the Duramont Ergonomic Adjustable office chair. It has everything you need, from comfy features to a stylish design. This unit includes a padded seat, arm cushions, and head, plus there’s adjustable lumbar support for your back.
Furthermore, the chair features a breathable mesh to caress your body with comfort. Also, the mesh prevents your back and chair from getting smelly or sweaty with time.
When it comes to ultimate back support, the Duramont Ergonomic chair offers a default position that begins at 90-degrees and extends to 120-degrees. Other than that, the height is adjusted via a pneumatic lever, allowing you to sit in a comfy position with little effort.
- Comfortable: With the numerous amount of adjustable features, the Duramont office chair is a comfortable chair for every developer/programmer. That said, you can adjust the headrest’s height and angle, seat depth, and height to support your body most pleasantly.
- Premium Quality: Believe it or not, this chair is built to live for a long time. It offers a weight capacity up to 330 lbs and consists of high-quality materials, such as sturdy head and armrests, rollerblade caster wheel,s, and a sweet cushion seat.
- Effortless Assembling: With straightforward instructions from the user manual, you can assemble this chair in eight easy steps.
- Soft for the Back: If you suffer from lingering back issues, then this adjustable computing chair offers fantastic lumbar support with the recline feature. So, you can tilt the back in any position you like.
If you need a highly-featured computing chair, then the Duramont Ergonomic chair is your best bet. Sadly, it comes with a heavy price tag, but overall, it is reliable and comfortable.
Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
Please take a look at the Steelcase Leap Fabric chair for a change; it has been around for a few decades with only one upgrade version. Still, it is one of the best high-quality chairs in the market.
As your profession requires sitting in front of a screen for long hours, and at some point, you want to get up and stop working. Well, you are not alone in this situation. Steelcase elaborates on the leap chair with a bunch of beautiful colors in leather. You can modify the specs of the chair before ordering to fit your tastebuds as well.
When it comes to adjustability, it offers a series of lower back support. You can adjust the tightness of the lower back, as well as the support for the mid-back.
A good thing about this chair is that it lets you remove the armrests whenever you want. Besides that, you can order replacement parts from any nearby Steelcase dealership.
In terms of comfort, our favorite part of the chair is the adjustable seat depth and the variable backstop, where you can recline in your preferred position.
- Best-Selling Chair: The leap chair is one of the most ergonomic chairs from Steelcase with live lumbar technology and ergonomic yet comfortable movements.
- Live back Function: With the live back function, the leap chair imitates the natural spine, which scans your back and changes shape according to your comforts.
- Smooth Glide System: Thanks to the glide and recline system, you can still oriented and utterly relaxed during hectic work hours. As a result, the extra load cuts off from your spine, leaving you healthy and active.
- CTC-Certified: The Leap chair contains 30% of recycled materials, and the chair itself is 98% recyclable, depending on the type of features you settle you get.
No other chair can beat the ergonomics and exceptionally comfortable design packed in the Steelcase Leap chair, as it won the award of the best office chair in 2005.
SERTA Exclusive Office Chair
The SERTA Exclusive office chair is a smart chair with unique ergonomic features. On the downside, some consumers complain about the bonded leather cracking with over usage, but that is something that happens with all chairs.
SERTA is a famous brand for mattresses and pillows. So, you can say that the professional in quality and comfort. Also, SERTA provides a line of ergonomic and comfortable chairs.
The SERTA Exclusive office chair is a big chair suitable for all types of users. It provides exceptional lumbar support and encourages a beautiful spine.
Moreover, it features layers of body pillows for ultimate comfort. Besides that, it features seat-side levers and a pneumatic lift, which enables customization for the tilt and height settings.
When it comes to models and color variations, the SERTA Exclusive Office chair comes in three mesmerizing colors: black, cream, and light gray. There are a few other SERTA models that are similar to this chair.
When speaking for the body itself, the SERTA Exclusive office chair is right for you on so many levels. With incredible lumbar support and hundreds of pillows, your body will feel comfortable on top of a bed of roses
- Precisely Comfortable: The SERTA Exclusive office chair for developers/programmers/gamers. It features a smart structure that can only be meant for computer geeks.
- Lumbar Support and Ergonomic Seat: The seat and lumbar support are customized to reduce stress in neck, shoulders, and, most importantly, the back.
- SportsCar Design: The chair is inspired by racing cars with leather upholstery and breathable mesh.
- Suitable for Play and Work: It is super-comfortable, meaning you can use it for gaming and computing.
- Versatile Chair: The SERTA Exclusive chair offers plenty of adjustable settings, durable casters, and a convenient swivel design for mobility.
The SERTA Exclusive office chair is an A-Grade combination of comfort and functionality. However, it lacks a few features, but overall, it is right for its price. So, it may not be the best chair around, but it sure is a reasonable one.
Smugdesk High Back Office Chair
From the looks, you can guess how simple and basic this office chair is, and it may not be feature-filled or extremely adjustable like all the other chairs in this list. Still, it contains enough mesh and padding to keep you comfortable for long hours of work.
The chair offers a comfortable headrest full of breathable mesh that aligns with the curves of your neck. Additionally, the back features breathable mesh as well, but with a slight change, a padded pillow for a principal amount of comfort in the lower lumbar area. In contrast to that, the seat is fully padded, so even if you sit on it for long hours, you will not feel tired.
Furthermore, the seat height and tilt tension are adjustable to reduce the stress on your legs and back. On the top, there is a nylon base for supporting the chair and five durable wheels for smooth strolling. When it comes to weight capacity, the Smugdesk office chair can accommodate up to 300 pounds of weight.
- Air Ventilation: Thanks to the breathable mesh, this office chair offers proper air ventilation with a dense foam seat for better circulation. Besides that, the bench features Nanoscale materials that can shape according to the abrasion and foam to keep you comfortable during intense working sessions.
- Ergonomic Chair: The chair includes a reinforced mesh back with a high-back design, extra comfort, and support for the user. So, you can forget about feeling lost or tried while at work.
- Adjustable Functions: This office chair includes a sliceable headrest, meaning comfort is entirely up to the user. Besides that, the necks curve fit right, making it suitable for your everyday work ventures.
- Ease of Assembling:The assembling of a chair is where everyone starts to back out. But, the Smugdesk office chair comes with a USER manual that contains proper instructions on how to assemble the chair, step-by-step.
The Smugdesk Office Chair is not the kind you buy because you notice many pillows in it. There is something unique and new about this chair; it is sleek and adjustable for both work and plays.
Sihoo Ergonomic High Back Office Chair
The best part about the SIHOO ergonomic office chair is that it is a mix of comfort and ergonomics. Additionally, using this chair for long hours will not turn it into a pile of plastic and scrap.
Unfortunately, many chairs under this category tend to lose their flare over time. Luckily, the SIHOO office chair is a blessing in disguise, meaning it will not let you down in terms of comfort and quality.
According to us, the SIHOO Ergonomic office chair is the best one for those who need an affordable chair with enough features to make it through long hours of work.
- Adjustable Functions: The flexible lumbar offers bracket for easy adjustment of height, adjustable headrest allows the easy-lean for the head and 3D adjustable armrests for specific office applications.
- Ergonomic Structure: SIHOO is recommended by the Ergonomics Application Association, as it incorporates a comfortable design for all humans. Moreover, the human spine and ridge backrest are the same. With the close-fitting design, your back releases pressure.
- The Material of Build: This chair features an aluminum base that is durable and sturdy. It has the potential to withstand all wear and tear forces. Besides that, the casters move silently and freely.
- Chair Design: SIHOO contains the essence of many recommendations for the comfort of the human body. It enhances the way you work because it has a little bit of everything. Every small component incorporates quality testing, handrail fatigue test, cushion test, and chair foot pressure test.
There are very few chairs in the market for computer geeks that come under a low price but are feature-packed. The SIHOO Ergonomic Office chair is an example of affordable and feature-filled chairs. However, a few users have complaints related to the back and seat area for being hard.
AmazonBasics High-Back Office Desk Chair
The chairs’ construction and looks are much better than expected from a chair under the same price range. Moreover, the love of a good office chair will only soothe your body even when you have a deadline.
Additionally, the pneumatic adjustability of this High-Back chair is what makes us go crazy. You have the chance to choose between two colors to add a nice touch to your office décor.
There are many ways to describe how comfortable and well-padded this chair is when it comes to comfort. It offers a decent weight capacity, seat and back full of cushions, and a high-back for additional support.
Unfortunately, it does not contain Lumbar support, which can often be a deal-breaker for over-time users. Overall, it is a comfortable chair.
- Premium Chair Material: It is a comfortable Executive office chair with a Pewter finish frame and bonded brown leather for stunning looks.
- Ultimate Comfort: The chair features a padded back and seat to deliver all-day support and comfort for heavy-duty programmers and developers.
- Adjustable Functions: With the pneumatic seat adjustment, you can achieve the ultimate 360-degree swivel position effortlessly. Other than that, the smooth and durable caster wheels offer the ease of transportation.
- Weight Capacity: Like all other smart and highly-featured chairs, the AmazonBasics office chair supports up to 275 lbs.
- Certifications: It is BIFMA-certified to keep you focused and relaxed on every level of coding you hit.
If you have a tiny budget and need a comfy office chair, the AmazonBasics High-Back Executive office desk chair may be the right choice for you. It is not only aesthetically pleasing but full of incredible features as well.
Without a doubt, computing, you, your body, and the chair, all busy for long, long hours. People often lose focus when sitting on a low-quality chair, and all it makes you do is wait for the day to end so you can sleep.
Sitting and working is not the victim of your tired body. It is the prolonged hours of working and seating that can lead to existential health issues like fatigue, chronic backaches, and increased weight. However, one way to avoid certain risks and remain active while working is to adopt a healthy lifestyle while sitting on a comfortable computing chair.
When you shop for a state-of-the-art workspace chair, a few features demand your consideration. With these features, you can focus on your work and feel comfortable even when working for hours.
Take a look at these crucial features that can make a severe change in your purchase.
- Quality Construction
Considering the construction of your preferred chair will help you analyze whether you should buy it. As you already know, it isn’t all rainbows and butterflies to be a programmer/developer; it takes a lot of hard work to achieve everyday goals. That is why you need a premium quality chair that can withstand all the evil forces of labor.
Your preferred chair must pass a few testaments; dirt, long hours, and stains’ survival. High-quality artistry and materials play an outstanding role. Picking the right quality chair is equivalent to an improved posture and better focus on work.
- Adjustable Features
An ultimate computing chair must meet not only your working needs, but your body needs as well. Before you reach the buying point, make sure the chair includes a reasonable reclining extension, has flexible armrests, and can be raised or lowered with ease.
Considering the adjustability of a chair will ensure a strong position of your posture and make you feel at home while working.
- Height of Seat
One of the hallmarks of a good-quality computing chair is adjusting it according to your height. A chair with adjustable seat height will enable you to sit with comfort even when you have to work for a whole day.
Other than that, the chair has to let you sit with your feet flat and thighs parallel to the ground while aligning your knees lower than your hips.
- Base and Foundation Integrity
The primary function of a computing chair is to provide ultimate support and comfort. That’s why you must countercheck the integrity of the foundation and base of the chair. Pick a chair that will not lose balance when reclining or gliding.
The best way to avoid running into a chair with stability issues is to search for many spoke bases for extra support.
- Lumbar Support and Adjustment
The perfect chair should deliver excellent support for your lower back. If your profession involves a lot of sitting, and that gives you excessive lower back pain, you need a chair with proper lumbar adjustment and support.
With stunning lumbar support, you can avoid slouching and develop that software before the deadline.
However, there is a series of ergonomic chairs that provide lumbar support, but be sure to pick one for your lumbar spine.
- Chair size
Of course, a small-sized chair may seem uncomfortable, but an oversized chair will not be good either. The method to find a chair with a suitable size for your body is to make sure it is one-inch bigger than your hips.
- Tilt Mechanism
It would help if you had a chair that lets you tilt the back. The tilt mechanism is useful when you have to work for long hours, and you need a moment to stretch to relieve the fatigue from your end. You can effortlessly recline the chair in the most horizontal position you need to support your back.
- Easily Adaptable
You must know, every little feature of the chair counts. That is why buyers must make sure all components of the chair offer an element of adjustability with your body. The lumbar support, armrest, seat height, headrest, and backrest have to adjust freely from one another.
- Seat padding
Another crucial feature to consider is the cushioning of the seat. The seat cushions should be of premium quality for ensuring it can carry your weight during excessive hours of work.
Considering these above-said features will surely bring out the Sherlock in you when inspecting computing chairs. Focusing on quality and construction will be helpful for you in the long-run.
What can investing in a high-quality computing chair bring for you?
Other than work, the second most crucial asset in a programmer/developer’s mind is to work in a peaceful and comfortable environment. A high-quality chair can turn out to be the smartest investment any developer/programmer can make.
- Chairs can enhance programming/developing: Working eight or more hours every day for the rest of your computer-life can be hectic. Like it or not, the place or platform you choose to sit has a significant impact on your work.
- Cheap chairs can kill your mood: Working on a low-impact chair can quickly spoil you. Sure, you can find an affordable chair with incredible features, but that’s only a matter of fortune. A high-quality chair is so comfortable and accommodating that it effortlessly blends into the background. That way, you can keep your focus at work. Otherwise, a cheesy, low-quality chair will give you constant reminders of how much more hours you have to work.
- Premium chairs are durable: The power of a premium chair is that it can last for several years. Many people have bought high-quality computing chairs in the ’90s and still seem to have it in tip-top shape, all thanks to the quality. Yes, it may cost you a couple of extra bucks, but the experience will surely be worth the value.
Well, it is hell difficult to pick out one chair from these absolute masterpieces. The method to purchase a good looking chair for programming or developing purposes shouldn’t be hard. You must focus on how much money you can pitch in and what features fascinate you the most.
Sure, all of our reviewed chairs contain a unique ‘wow-factor’ in them. Still, if you put a little thought into it, you can end up with the most fabulous chair for your computer-workaholic body.