Shiatsu is a type of therapeutic massage therapy that involve pressing pressure points in the body, generally, the techniques used by massage therapist include:
The history of shiatsu massage is linked to ancient times in Japan when this traditional manual massage therapy had been used, recently it has become quite popular throughout the western world due to its great healthcare effects.
The term Shiatsu is defined as ‘shi’ (fingers) and ‘atsu’ (pressure), however, Shiatsu masseur sometimes may also use their palms/knuckles, elbows, and knees for the treatment.
Although various healthcare experts considered Shiatsu massage as the modified massage therapy of acupressure which involves pressing specific pressure points. However, the shiatsu treatment also involves kneading and stretching techniques to revamp the range of movement in the muscles/joints.
It is believed that shiatsu is the resurgence of various Japan’s classical medical therapies in which anma massage and acupuncture therapies are prominent. That being said, the shiatsu massage has developed from the incorporation of Japanese customary manual therapies with advanced medical knowledge.
The concept of energy flow also known as ‘Qi’ or ‘Ki’ is the root of Shiatsu massage. Energy flow is the key life force and any sort of disruption with this may cause health-related issues/diseases like headaches, body pain, and digestive problems.
Shiatsu therapist practice pressing the meridian channels on the body to restore energy flow in the body and help in treating health issues caused by blockage of energy flow. Meridian channels are the vital points in the body considered the canals of energy.
Shiatsu massage is significantly good for:
- Reducing muscles pain and stiffness
- Providing relief from back pain & headache
- Blood circulation
- Increasing flexibility in the body (stretches)
- Treating various health problems & body pain
- Decreasing tension, stress, depression, and anxiety, provide mental calmness
- Energizes the whole system
What are the Benefits of Shiatsu Massage?
This holistic therapy not only re-energizes the whole body but also contributes to overall health. Shiatsu provides amazing health benefits, as well as health professionals, believed that it offers remedial and preventative effects. It is said that shiatsu therapy can be highly beneficial for a variety of musculoskeletal, emotional, and internal conditions.
Although there are limited studies conducted on the benefits of Shiatsu massage treatment as per claims it can help you with various digestive problems, muscle stiffness, and nervous system diseases.
Shiatsu therapy can help you improve bowel functioning, poor posture, sleep quality, and acute & chronic back pain. This therapy also works effectively for body pain, skin conditions, constant colds, asthma, sciatica, insomnia, sinusitis, premenstrual syndrome, bronchitis, arthritis, sports injuries, and low libido.
How is Shiatsu different from Other Massage Therapies?
The difference between shiatsu and other techniques are as follows:
- Shiatsu is a dry massage therapy; therapists do not use oil or any gadget
- Unlike other massage techniques shiatsu focuses on joints mobilization, rotation, & body stretching, the prime focus of this therapy is to press meridian points with essential pressure
- The best part of this therapy is that people enjoy shiatsu massage with their clothes on, you just need to wear anything comfortable or loose clothes for massage treatment
- Shiatsu is a form of massage therapy that gets you to feel revitalized, composed, and energized but not relaxed, calm and sleepy.
- Shiatsu is completely different from deep tissue massage as it has the concept of balancing the flow of energy in the body by applying deep pressure on pressure points
- Shiatsu therapy do not perform on a table but on the floor, attendant laid on the mat on the floor, and the therapist can easily apply pressure on the attendant’s body on the floor
When should you not do a Shiatsu Massage?
Shiatsu massage is good for every healthy person, however, there are some conditions when you should not take this massage therapy. You should be cautious to not do shiatsu massage when you are pregnant, however, it may not be harmful in any way but lying down on the back will be difficult for an attendant.
Besides, people who are suffering from any of these mentioned conditions must avoid shiatsu therapy:
- Broken bone
- Blood cancer like leukemia
- Athlete’s foot
- High diabetes
- Any contagious sickness